July 29, 2011 by wcobserver
WEST FORK – Carter Park, which suffered damage earlier this year from flooding, saw additional damage July 10 after vandals broke into the concession stand by prying open the metal gate covering the concession window. Police are still investigating and are hoping new information from citizens might assist in arrests.
Dave Roebke, Parks Director, told parks commission members during their July 11 meeting that on Sunday, July 10 a metal gate covering the concession window had been pried apart and destroyed, a window had been broken in the concession booth and candy, food and drink had been stolen.
“It was a mess,” said Roebke, who said after the meeting that he estimates damages between $1,000 and $2,000.
Officer Kathy Gilliam said she arrived at Carter Park around 7:30 pm. after receiving a tip regarding suspicious activity at the concession booth. She said the caller reported seeing three teenagers entering and exiting the concession stand through the back door according to the police department.
Roebke said Officer Gilliam called him shortly before 8 p.m.and when he arrived at the park, he found that the inside of the booth had been vandalized.
While walking the fields to check for other damage, Roebke said he and Gilliam found Ice Pop and other wrappers were thrown around the ballpark all the way up to the basketball courts.
“It looked like they had just kept coming back again and again to grab more stuff,” said Roebke.
Gilliam said she believes the break-in and theft occurred sometime Sunday afternoon and confirmed that several suspects have already been interviewed and others are pending.
The investigation is still ongoing. Anyone who may have seen suspicious activity in Carter Park on Sunday July 10 is encouraged to call the West Fork Police Department at 839-2300.