March 15, 2012 by Beverly Simpson
During the 1904 fall session of the Washington County Court, a petition requesting incorporation was submitted by the town of Winslow. The request was granted in the spring session of 1905. The little city of Winslow has seen many changes in the past 100 plus years.
It is not known who the original city officials were. One of the first mayors was a man named L. B. Fitzgerald, but it is not known whether he was the first. Nineteen different men signed that petition presented to the court so many years ago. The list includes merchants, carpenters, blacksmiths, doctors, stagecoach drivers, and railroad men.
Following is a list of those concerned citizens of the the little hamlet of Winslow with a little information about each one:
W. D. Sharpe was a carpenter and was responsible for building the first public school building in Winslow. He owned and operated one of the many summer resort hotels in Win- slow. He served for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Mr. Sharpe graciously donated the land on which the Methodist Church was built in 1905. He is buried in the Collier Cemetery.
J. W. Frazier was a merchant and was very active in the organization of the Methodist Church. He moved his family to Oregon sometime before 1910.
J. A. Winn was the Frisco depot agent in Winslow for more than 40 years. He was very civic minded as he helped in the organization of the Bank of Winslow, the Winslow Tele- phone Company, and he served as postmaster of Winslow. He is buried in the Karnes-Winn Cemetery south of West Fork.
W. W. Sebourn moved to Van Buren not long after the incorporation of Winslow.
A. N. Cole was an early merchant who had the longest lasting business in Winslow. He is buried in Fayetteville.
W. G. Land was a prominent citizen in the community and a long time resident who raised a large family. He is buried in Kelton Cemetery.
Fred D. Gregg was both a stagecoach driver and the postmaster at Summit Home, which is what Winslow was known as before 1881 before the railroad days. He is buried in St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cemetery
W. T. Fulton was a real estate broker and was the owner of a candy kitchen in down- town Winslow. He is buried in Kelton Cemetery.
M. T. Reber was a carpenter who died when he fell from the roof of one of the cottages on which he was working. It is unknown where he is buried.
E. E. Miller was a merchant. He is buried in the Parks Cemetery off of Sunset Road.
David Duggin was an early blacksmith. He is buried in the Parks Cemetery.
Albert Dunlap was a doctor and a Confederate veteran. He was influential in the establishment of the St. Stephen’s Episcopal Mission and later the Helen Dunlap Memorial School. He also donated the land where the first public school was built in Winslow. He is buried in St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cemetery.
E. H. “Ed” Sharpe was the son of W. D. Sharpe.
R. B. Corbin (the name is blurred on the record). There is no record about him. Lawrence Orr was the Methodist minister first appointed by the Methodist Conference to serve in Winslow.
J. M. Smith: There is very little known about this man. There were several Smith families living in the Winslow areas in the early 1900’s.
J. L. Innis was a railroad man who had lived in Winslow many years. His mother operated several restaurants in Winslow. He is buried in Coil Cemetery.
George Rivercomb was a stagecoach driv- er and a veteran of the Civil War. He was J. L. Innis’s stepfather. He is buried in Coil Cemetery.
J. H. Smith was a well known citizen who was a Union veteran of the Civil War. He was a school teacher and a mercantile business owner in Winslow. He went on to be both mayor and Justice of the Peace.
It is very interesting to note that several of these men fought for different sides during the War Between the States. They were all influential in the success of Winslow, as well as, being instrumental in establishing Winslow’s first public school.
The incorporated name for the city of Win- slow was inspired by Edward Winslow, then president of the St. Louis San Francisco Railroad.