June 16, 2014 by Steve Winkler
-Special to the Observer from Beverly Simpson- firstname.lastname@example.org
WINSLOW 4-H CLUB CLEANS ST. STEPHEN’S EPISCOPAL CEMETERY
The Winslow 4-H Club spent a couple of hours on a Saturday morning in April cleaning the St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cemetery in Winslow. The group raked leaves and cleaned up sticks and other debris from the historic site. Those present were Gauge and Caleb Jorgenson, Sagely, Sierra, and Sicily Burnett, Isaac and Sierra Stansell, Charlotte Donaldson, and Zana Raymo. Several adults also helped. All of this was done in partnership with the Winslow Museum.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cemetery is located on Maud Duncan Lane on the west side of Winslow. This cemetery is situated on a half-acre tract donated by Dr. and Mrs. Albert Dunlap in 1907. All research on the cemetery indicates that it still belongs to Protestant Episcopal Church of American. It is cared for and maintained by the City of Winslow.
The first recorded grave in the cemetery is that of Dr. Albert Dunlap in 1910. Dr. Dunlap was one of the original signers of the Incorporation Petition for Winslow in 1905. He practiced medicine in Winslow, gave property Winslow’s first public school, as well as, St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, which was the first recorded church in Winslow. He also gave his home in Boston Heights as the Helen Dunlap Memorial School. Dr. Dunlap was a surgeon for the Confederacy. His wife, Virginia Cabell Spring Dunlap, is also buried in the cemetery. Known fondly as “the Mother of Winslow”, she was a great supporter of all of her husband’s endeavors as well as the woman’s suffrage movement.
Another of Winslow’s founders, Fred D. Gregg and his wife LuLu are also buried at St. Stephen’s. Gregg was a stagecoach driver for the Wollum Stage Line. The Gregg’s baby son is also buried in the cemetery.
The most famous person buried in St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cemetery is Maud Dunlap Pearce Duncan. Maud was the niece and foster daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Dunlap. She graduated from Cane Hill College at age sixteen and began teaching school. She also helped Dr. Dunlap in his practice as he was losing his eyesight. She spent much of her time mixing medicines, when in 1906 she traveled to Hot Springs, AR to take the pharmacy exam. She passed this test and became one of the first licensed woman pharmacists in the state. She married Hallum Pearce and had two daughters, Virginia and Helen. Both girls did during their childhood and are buried in a stone mausoleum in St. Stephen’s. After her marriage was annulled she met and married Gilbert Duncan. They bought a small newspaper and opened a drugstore and newspaper office. After Gilbert died in 1918 of the Spanish Flu, Maud sold the pharmacy and continued to print the Winslow American Newspaper until shortly before her death in 1956. Maud was also Winslow’s first female Mayor for Winslow’s all-woman city government. For this she gained national recognition.
These are only a few of the interesting burial sites at the cemetery. The Winslow Museum would like to thank the Winslow 4-H Club for their volunteer efforts in and around Winslow and encourage everyone to visit St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cemetery or one of the many historical cemeteries in the area.